Friday, March 13, 2009

LA visual artist: Steven Lopez - After Midnight Series

This guy not only paints the most amazing, bright, and bold portraits of some of the most recognisable soul sisters - but he video-tapes the whole thing, speeds it up, adds a funky remix of one of the artist's tunes, and makes it available to all y'all!!

My favourites so far include this one of Tina Turner (who, fyi, is the only celebrity I ever sent a fan letter to - back in my youngin' days. Perhaps I am making myself sound cooler than was the reality. No doubt. If my 14 year old self's journal at the time is anything to go by... my cringe-o-meter just exploded...); anyway, there is an Erykah Badu piece that is THE SHIT! Other portraits in this particular series include - Aretha Franklin, India Arie, Minnie Ripperton, Jill Scott, and Chaka Khan.

Another nugget of sweetness is that you can purchase your own little slice of artistic diva goodness, by way of a print of the artwork of your choice, for under AU$40! Hit up the link way back at the top of this blog...

Check out the video of Tina Turner 'Bold Soul Sister.

2 comments:

  1. They're excellent for unexaggerated caricatures. I envy people who can draw humans properly. I.e. not in stick figures ala myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally awesome! Well done! =)

    ReplyDelete


 

blog counter